Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Encouraging Empathy: Do's and Don'ts for Teaching Cooperation and Care

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

Social skills are often assumed by many adults as something that children innately possess. However, empathy and compassion for fellow students is something that takes careful development and management in the classroom. Join Leigh Anne Kraemer-Naser as she defines and distinguishes between the critical components of cooperation and care: emotional literacy, empathy, and perspective taking. She will provide a brief overview of the milestones in the development of empathy and a sense of self will. In addition, Leigh Anne will discuss some basic, but effective practices that can successfully develop empathy among the students in your classroom. She will also share some common phrases to avoid, since they can inhibit or confuse children's empathetic responses.

Details

Subject: Citizenship
Last aired on: Thursday, July 14, 2016 @ 1:00 PM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Communication & Collaboration, Learning Theories & Strategies, School Safety
Tags: cooperation, empathy, school safety, social skills

Reviews (32)

Basic Member

Great information!

Great strategies for implementing empathy effectively! Thank you!
+10

Very helpful. Thanks!

Very good and concise.
Basic Member

Excellent webinar! She provides great information and reminders of the importance of emotional readiness of children as well as ideas to build upon their understanding of emotions and empathy.

Awesome webinar. So important to remember if our students are not emotionally ready they are not academically ready to learn.

Very important message, especially remembering that they are just children and making mistakes is what is expected.
+3

Great strategies on how to rephrase questions ...thanks for the webinar.

Thank you for your perspective. I've been thinking lately not only about how to help the children who are picked on, but the "pickers" too. I teach pre-k and I really want to help all my kids understand how much their actions affect others. It's too easy just to have consequences without correction.

Good ideas for creating student empathy.
more reviews ...