Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Getting Started with Khan Academy

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

Have you ever thought about flipping your classroom so that you can do more collaborative and hands-on projects in class? This webinar will explore a terrific online resource that can help make this happen easily. Khan Academy provides a variety of free online, pre-made instructional materials that you can assign to students to do at home, leaving you more time for labs and group work in class. Participants will learn how to sign up for a Khan Academy account, how to sign students up for Khan Academy, how to monitor student progress, and how to understand student progress reports generated within Khan Academy.

Although it is helpful to have seen the "Flipping Your Classroom - It's Easy with Khan Academy" webinar presented previously, it is not mandatory, as a brief review of the ways in which Khan Academy can be used in the classroom will also be included.

Details

Subject: Cross-curricular
Last aired on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 @ 3:30 PM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Blended Learning, Differentiated Learning, Virtual Learning
Tags: Blended Learning, Communication and Collaboration, Differentiated Learning, engage, Flipped Classroom, instructional, Khan Academy, learning, online, online resources, tutorial, videos, Virtual Learning, YouTube

Reviews (22)

I liked the step by step guide on how to get teacher and students enrolled in Khan Academy. That parents can act as coaches as well is a real bonus. How many times have we heard parents say, "I couldn't help him/her with the homework because I don't know how to do it. I also like that you can introduce a lesson with a Khan Academy video and follow it with a class discussion or question and answer period. Great Resource!
Basic Member

I really like the multi-Coach approach. So many students struggle, and are all over the place with their capabilities. This is a concrete way that parents and teachers can work together to help them succeed.
Basic Member
+5

This sounds like a great program. Thanks for sharing.
+7

A great review of Khan Academy.
+10

I am learning a lot of great things about Khan Academy. Thank you for sharing!
+8

Great webinar! Love Khan Academy.
+6

I love that KA motivates and helps students with the hints and videos of math concepts. Thanks for explaining the knowledge map, energy points, and the activity reports. As you mentioned, this could work well in centers.
+10

The webinar provided good information.

I wish that it said in the Overview that this webinar was mainly for math concepts. I was unfamiliar with Khan and kept asking questions about whether reading strategies would be discussed and did not get an answer until the end. They may do a bit with other subjects but not reading. Please add this to the overview...Yes. The webinar may have been good but it was not helpful to me at all.
Basic Member
+9

Great overview of the uses of Khan Academy in your classroom. Nikki is very easy to follow and understand. I will be watching more of her webinars on demand in the community. Well worth your time if you are considering using Khan.
more reviews ...