Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Empowering Kids to Make a Global Difference: One Kiva Club's Story

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
Buy Now

Do you believe that global awareness means more than simply learning about another culture's food and holidays? Would you like to empower your students to become globally connected critical thinkers, problem solvers, and decision makers who make a difference? If so, then this webinar is for you.

Join Bill Ferriter and some of his students as they introduce you to their Kiva Club and show how they have used microlending to help people in developing countries throughout the world. They will explain what Kiva is and share details of how they make a loan, including the criteria they use when deciding which recipients to lend to. And perhaps most importantly, they will explain why Kiva lending is so important to them - and how they have made a difference in the lives of so many. The webinar will also cover how microlending projects can be used to support required learning objectives and how they can be incorporated into curriculum.

You will walk away from this webinar with:

• Ideas for empowering your students to become globally connected critical thinkers and problem solvers.
  • Ways to help students make a real global difference.
  • An understanding of Kiva and the basics of microlending.
  • Suggestions for starting and developing a Kiva club or class project.
  • Ways to incorporate microlending projects into curriculum.

Subject: Other
Last aired on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 @ 3:00 PM EST
Duration: 1 hour
Credit Hours: 1
Categories: Tools for Student Projects
Tags: connect, finance, global, globally, invest, lend, lending, Tools for 21st Century Student Projects

Reviews (7)

Amazing! I want to start a Kiva Club.
Fantastic webinar. Very inspiring and useful across content areas.
Wow! What an amazing group of dedicated teachers and students. Fantastic webinar.
This was great! I am excited and I will try to do this in my school.
I like that kids are involved in the Kiva Club. The very mention of this club is new to me. Is this an ongoing idea?? Thanks for the information.
This sounds to be a very impressive program. Has there been any follow up since this was recorded? I'd like to know how/if it has carried on. Did the money follow the students? or stay with the grade level teachers?
This is a great way to get kids involved. It is great that it is given in large part by the kids in the Kiva club.
more reviews ...