Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

The Parent Protocol: A Plan for Talking about Sensitive Issues with Parents

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

Teachers and parents alike often approach conferences with apprehension or nervous fear, especially if problems or difficult issues need to be discussed. Proper planning, forethought, and empathy can go a long way in helping to ease those tensions. Join Leigh Anne Kraemer-Naser as she discusses the Parent Protocol, a planning tool that allows teachers to carefully choose how they are going to present a sensitive or problematic issue to parents. She will cover choosing how to invite parents to a conference, presenting information in an objective yet empathetic manner, and using reflective listening techniques to confirm parent responses.

Details

Subject: Cross-curricular
Last aired on: Thursday, August 6, 2015 @ 12:00 PM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Communication & Collaboration, Special Education
Tags: communication, handling difficult issues, listening, parent conferences

Reviews (35)

This was a great webinar. I particularly liked the practical, no- nonsense ways suggested to tell it how it is. I can be a "wishy-washy" news-breaker from time to time and I see how ineffective and actually disrespectful it can be. I am making it my mission to be less passive- aggressive

Some super strategies to keep in mind when talking with parents.

Great info especially for before conferences/conversations. Great reminders and ideas

Just as others stated from listening after the webinar was finished, wish we had time for longer seminars sometimes.

Thank you for a great synopsis of how to handle parent interactions. I particularly liked the details plans of contacting parents, having conversations, and followups.

Excellent tips and reminders, especially about being factual and solution seeking. Very timely with conferences just around the corner!

Thanks

What a tremendous wealth of info. Parents are our partners and their child's best advocate. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent webinar with helpful suggestions as we are getting into IEP season. I would enjoy listening to more webinars by Leigh Anne. Thank you.

excellent information for all teachers
more reviews ...