Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Responding to Abuse and Neglect in Elementary-Age Students: How Educators Can Help

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
Buy Now

There are over 3 million cases of child abuse reported annually in the United States. As these maltreated children grow up, their abuse and neglect leaves a legacy of risk for incarceration and criminality, as well as multiple other challenges throughout adulthood. Educators are in a unique position to become aware of cases of child abuse and neglect, but are sometimes unsure of what to do. In this webinar, join John Basilice and Kristen McClure as they review the four major categories of child maltreatment. In addition, they will discuss signs that may indicate abuse and neglect and review the do's and don'ts of responding to these troubling situations.

Subject: Other
Last aired on: Thursday, December 5, 2013 @ 4:00 PM EST
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Administrator Resources, Counseling, School Safety
Tags: child abuse, neglect, recognizing abuse, signs of abuse

Reviews (19)

it was informational
Thanks for the important information John and Kristen
So much information. I can apply your presentation to my middle school aged students also.
Basic Member
Helpful information that guides a person if abuse or neglect is suspected.
Great information very pertinent as I work with special needs students. Do's and don'ts list extremely helpful. Liked the statement: if you do nothing chances are nothing will be done.
Thank you!
Great review and info to reflect on
Great overview of the reporting process. I am from a state that deems anyone who witnesses or suspects abuse a mandated reporter. I loved the comment that was made that if we do nothing, then often times nothing is done and the child is left to suffer abuse for many more years. Reporting child abuse or neglect is definitely not a fun thing to do and often the worst part of my job as a counselor but it is something that has to be done to protect the welfare of the innocent children. Thanks for the webinar!
Basic Member
Great information!
Basic Member
Helpful information. I appreciated the do and don't list at the end of the presentation.
more reviews ...