Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

To Homework, or Not to Homework: That is the Question

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
Buy Now

An ongoing debate rages among many educators over whether or not homework is truly necessary in today's classrooms. In this webinar, Pernille Ripp discusses her own journey away from homework and the ups and downs of helping parents understand, as well as how to still promote time-management, responsibility, and practice. This webinar is meant primarily for elementary and middle-school teachers who want to move away from homework or who are curious about the journey, as well as for parents who would like to support their student in their quest to be homework free.

Forms will be shared to help students prepare for conferences, and various modifications to their format will be discussed. While geared mainly towards elementary and middle-school teachers, other educators may find value in the discussion as well.

Subject: General
Last aired on: Friday, August 2, 2013 @ 11:00 AM EDT
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Classroom Management, Learning Theories & Strategies
Tags: homework debate, student responsibility

Reviews (33)

Wonderful webinar on the debate over homework. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Love this!! I hate, hate homework! I had already kind of gone to a no homework model but I'm moving even more toward that now. I teach a self-contained 6th grade class and my intention is for "homework" to include reading, 1 or 2 flipped classroom assignments per night (these will be only 5-7 minutes apiece so less than 15 minutes total per night), and then any work that they should have gotten done in class but didn't have time to because they were goofing off.

Like she says, it's not an all or nothing thing. My school is BIG on homework so this year's 5th graders are used to having a good 30+ minutes of homework each night not including reading. Having only 15 minutes (if that) will be a whole new world for them.
Great information regarding Homework: purpose, need for, expectations.
This was a great webinar with great ideas and alternatives to assigning homework!
Great insight on the purpose of homework. Will make me rethink how I assign it to my students.
An interesting point of view that is worth exploring.
Basic Member
Very interesting webinar and definitely worth viewing.
I totally agree homework isn't always necessary
more reviews ...