Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Chris Casal

A reformed dot comer, Chris Casal is currently in his 12th year as a technology teacher. After eleven years as part of the New York City Department of Education, he decamped for the suburbs and is now part of the Scarsdale, NY technology team. While in New York City he spearheaded and supported a school-wide iPad program, beginning with the iPad 1, and was later instrumental in taking his school to Google Apps and implementing Chromebooks in grades 3-5.

As part of the Scarsdale team, Chris continues to support all aspects of EdTech, such as a 1:1 Chromebook program in the 4th and 5th grades, and works with teachers on direct curriculum-based technology projects. He continually researches, compares, and recommends apps for teachers and students to use, and facilitates professional development sessions on iPads and Web tools, such as website builders, blogs, wikis, online bookmarks, and Twitter. In addition to doing online webinars for SimpleK12, Chris is an avid proponent of using Google Apps on his iPad.

PreviewPreviewPreviewPreviewPreview

Some of Chris's Webinars

Presented by Chris Casal Saturday, November 12, 2016
3:00 - 3:30 PM EST
Presented by Chris Casal Thursday, August 20, 2015
3:00 - 3:30 PM EDT
Presented by Chris Casal Tuesday, August 19, 2014
2:00 - 2:30 PM EDT

Meet SimpleK12 Trainer Chris Casal

Q & A with Chris Casal

If you weren't in education, what do you think you'd be doing and why?

I honestly canít see myself doing anything else.

When you were a kid, you wanted to be a ______? Why?

Disc Jockey. Why? WKRP & Dr. Johnny Fever.

What's your idea of happiness?

Day of skiing/snowboarding then hanging with my wife & daughter. Single malt scotch. Cigar.

Twitter changed my life because:

Wouldnít say itís "changed my life" but it's certainly been extremely helpful in learning and networking.

The teacher who had the biggest impact on me and why:

Father Burshek, senior year Theology (I went to a Jesuit high school). He challenged me to question and think like no other.

If you were dictator and had total control, tomorrow education would:

Have no place in politics and politics have no place in it.

If you could live anywhere other than where you are, it would be:

I live in the greatest place on Earth. But if I had to choose, Maine, Ireland or Scotland I suppose.

The biggest problem with K-12 education is:

Politicians

Do you have a motto you live by?

Entitlement is vulgar. Work. Earn. Compete for pride. Compare to no one.

I've always wanted to visit:

Banff. Heli-ski a perfect powder day.

What are your most treasured possessions?

My passwords.

If you never had to worry about making money, what would you do?

Scotch & golf tour of Scotland. By Vespa.

What kind of kid were you in high school?

Rough around the edges struggling to fall short of my potential.