Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Scaffolding Understanding Using SOLO Hexagons in Science and Elsewhere

Preview Preview Preview Preview Preview
$27
Buy Now

Overview

Would you like to engage your students in hands-on exercises that help them more easily see connections, build on their existing knowledge, and demonstrate what they know? David Faure will show how students can use SOLO hexagons to scaffold levels of understanding so that a simple card sorting activity can become a more open-ended task. He will explore how this activity provides formative assessment for the teacher and helps students to understand a topic more deeply, making connections like never before. David will also provide some concrete examples and share personal experience and insights from his science lessons. While the examples shared will be from his science classes, the principles covered would be applicable to many subject areas.

Details

Subject: Cross-curricular
Last aired on: Thursday, January 21, 2016 @ 4:00 PM EST
Duration: 30 minutes
Credit Hours: 0.5
Categories: Assessment & Review , Learning Theories & Strategies, STEM
Tags: formative assessment, hands-on exercises, scaffolding, Science, STEM

Reviews (13)

+2

This is an interesting approach for the science classroom. I am starting a new unit this week and will include the hexagons in my teaching.

Very helpful information.
+2

Awesome resource.

Interesting idea, thank you for sharing. I will be trying out the hexagon concepts this upcoming year.

Thank you!!

thank you!
Basic Member

Thank you!
Basic Member

I am going to use these strategies in my history class. Great ideas.
+9

Great job with the webinar! Thank you for sharing the info:)

I loved this webinar! Thanks for the helpful tips in scaffolding
more reviews ...