Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Back to School

First
Page 1 of 1
Last
+8
5 months ago
What is your best advice for a new teacher on her first week of school?

https://www.teachingchannel.org/back-to-school-teacher-resources/?utm_source=newsletter201706819/

Last updated: 5 months ago

+8
5 months ago
New Teacher Survival Guide: Planning

https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/coaching-planning-lesson-planning/?utm_source=newsletter20170819/
Basic Member
5 months ago
thanks
+4
5 months ago
Quote from Mariel Gomez de la Torre

https://www.teachingchannel.org/back-to-school-teacher-resources/?utm_source=newsletter201706819/

Awesome resource! Thank you for sharing!
+10
5 months ago
Quote from Mariel Gomez de la Torre

Thanks for sharing!
5 months ago
Not an intricate reply, but two things I was told 20 years ago that have remained invaluable to survival as a teacher:

1 - Don't keep the tissues on your desk. Every sick child will visit you to retrieve one (or more) and you are blessed with the germ(s).

2 - Make friends with the custodians/secretaries. Be nice. These folks have the most underrated power in the district!

Have a great year.
+2
5 months ago
The custodian has always been my friend! Whenever I needed something, he would do it quickly & would smile!
2 months ago
Work hard on setting the expectations and routine with the students. It will make things go much smoother. Also don't try to do everything at once. Choose 1-2 things and focus on those. You will be overwhelmed, but you will survive.
+5
2 months ago
Set 1 or 2 goals a week nothing more, ask for help when things become overwhelming. Try not to focus on getting it perfect.
2 months ago
As a first year teacher, I think it is important to find that happy medium. I like to plan days for making copies and lesson plans for the next week (usually Mondays, when I have the most energy, and so I can leave early on Friday's) Then on my plan times I try to grade that day's work or the previous day's so that I don't get behind.

I also wish that I would have believed people when they said teach routines on the first days/weeks. I mean, don't get me wrong, I did, but I really didn't know what to expect or what to drill the most. As the year has progressed I have gotten much better at pegging what information my kids are going to need most, but I don't think I honestly had a real clue at the beginning. I was/am teaching a grade I didn't expect to teach, and so I have had a big learning curve. I teach 2nd grade, but I was used to having 3-5th graders who already knew how to act and already had their plans and routines in place.

The scariest and toughest part to me has been parents. I wish I could just say, "Yes, I know your child is special. He/She is incredibly special to me too, but I have to do what is best for the entire class, and that includes your child." I think what I have most learned is that parents can be difficult, but try to make them an ally and realize they SHOULD be looking out for what is best for their child just like you are...And if that is your goal, to make sure that their child is getting the most out of their education, then anything you say can and will be the best thing you can do/say for their child. If they argue, stand your ground. You're looking out for what is best for their child and all the others in your class. Not only that, but engaging with your mentor or your "marigold" (there's a really good article about "marigolds" versus "walnuts" for teachers) who isn't your mentor, but maybe is a guiding helper that has been positive not only about the profession but about your skill. It is REALLY important to find that person that you can vent to but can still find the positive of the situation or side with you.

Last updated: 2 months ago

First
Page 1 of 1
Last