Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Fidgets and focusing

First
Page 1 of 3
Last
+5
7 months ago
What are your thoughts on these gadgets? Have you found them to be helpful? Are counselors pushing them for the right reasoning? Loved to hear what you have encountered this year.
7 months ago
I teach in a special education room with K-6th graders. I use sensory items and fidgets on a daily basis. They are life savers! Most of my students do not use them while working, but rather take a break, use a fidget or other sensory tool, then return to work. When we get new students into the classroom we have to teach them how these tools are used. #1 They are always called tools by students, paras and teachers #2 They are asked for not just used to get out of working #3 There is a time limit. This limit is different for each child, just as the tools chosen are different for each child. I hope this helps
+4
7 months ago
I have seen friends and students using these fidgets. I hope to be able to use them in the future; they sure look like they are doing the trick.
Basic Member
6 months ago
Spinners seem to be more of a distraction then a help unfortunately. Students are already spending more time trying to compare and borrow each others instead of using them to stay focused.
+2
6 months ago
Quote from killya
Spinners seem to be more of a distraction then a help unfortunately. Students are already spending more time trying to compare and borrow each others instead of using them to stay focused.

I have the same experience at the secondary level.
+2
6 months ago
Quote from Catroberts
I teach in a special education room with K-6th graders. I use sensory items and fidgets on a daily basis. They are life savers! Most of my students do not use them while working, but rather take a break, use a fidget or other sensory tool, then return to work. When we get new students into the classroom we have to teach them how these tools are used. #1 They are always called tools by students, paras and teachers #2 They are asked for not just used to get out of working #3 There is a time limit. This limit is different for each child, just as the tools chosen are different for each child. I hope this helps

# 3 is key.
6 months ago
Some of my students fight over fidgets and take them away from students who need them.
+2
6 months ago
Quote from csmith1@hccsc.k12.in.us
Some of my students fight over fidgets and take them away from students who need them.

Has your school established a policy regarding fidgets? If so, would you please share it?
+5
6 months ago
Quote from Catroberts

I like the idea that the students use them during a break and not while working for I can see the purpose behind them in this situation.
+5
6 months ago
Quote from killya

I have to agree with you on this as well. Not only do we have different color ones but metallic, "Batman" symbol shapes, light-up ones, neon glow in darkness ones and I am sure others I have yet to see. These have led to varied competition among the students to see how many they can have in their possession as well as who has the better one. How is this a "focusing" or "stress reliever" tool as many are calling them?
First
Page 1 of 3
Last