Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Strategies for Face-to-Face Professional Development in 2016

First
Page 1 of 1
Last
Basic Member
+3
10 months ago
If you are responsible for planning Face-to-Face training, what are some strategies you plan on implementing in order to get teachers to attend optional/voluntary Face-to-Face Professional Development in the 2016-17 school year?

If you are a teacher, what type of things might get you to attend optional/voluntary Face-to-Face Professional Development sessions in the 2016-17 school year?
+2
4 months ago
Quote from jkeith
If you are responsible for planning Face-to-Face training, what are some strategies you plan on implementing in order to get teachers to attend optional/voluntary Face-to-Face Professional Development in the 2016-17 school year?

If you are a teacher, what type of things might get you to attend optional/voluntary Face-to-Face Professional Development sessions in the 2016-17 school year?

As a teacher:

I would like to have several options to choose from throughout the course of the PD day. I would like my current school to break out of the box and allow for unconference, or Open Space conference,opportunities.
+4
4 months ago
This is a great question. I've seen a number of models, from scheduled PD time during inservice days to grad classes, boot camps over summer, to on-demand opportunities offered through SimpleK12 or the development of Moodle and Google Classroom modules and courses. Unfortunately, I don't think the model is the issue. Our district is currently stressing from "Initiative Overload", and in the face of several changes to curriculum, changes in workplace demands, lesson planning, I'm finding it more difficult to get faculty to take advantage of the incredible opportunities available to them. If integrating technology into instruction is valued as a high priority for a school or a district, then it needs to be the primary focus of all PD throughout the year regardless of model, not just one of so many initiatives that it gets lost in the pile.
+3
4 months ago
Quote from jkeith

Our district taps into teachers to drive PD. Admin solicits PD ideas from faculty and staff and acts on those ideas. Teachers host PD events throughout the year. Many of the events are optional - Lunch & Learns, Literacy Breakfasts, Book Talks etc. and are generally well-attended. We are excited to attend our colleagues' sessions because the topics are relevant and "bottom up". We have so many events that everyone is bound to be interested in SOMETHING. Sometimes there are raffles, or a contest, or a little swag provided. I think more than anything, the "by the teacher for the teacher" vibe is a draw.

Our admin understands that we are busy. They know that we don't want to jump through hoops. They are supportive and encouraging. We appreciate being treated like professionals. They ask. They respond to our interests. Rarely do we have mandates from above. When we do, admin hones in on some key teachers who have bought in and will encourage others to be involved.

Lastly, we always try to have some element of levity as part of our PD. Whether it's a skit or a crazy video, something that relaxes people is always appreciated. We've had shoulder massage, meditation, dance & music lessons included in our Institute Days. We once had an educational comedy troupe perform the opener. I was called on stage to participate in their skit. It was hilarious. Even though it was three years ago, people still come up to me and laugh about it.
First
Page 1 of 1
Last