Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

My Ideal Teacher Bookshelf

First
Page 1 of 4
Last
+8
3 years ago
I was reading this post. I have attended to have a post where teachers share their best book for professional development.

I hope this link can create the interest to share more books for us to grow more through the reading of great books.

http://www.teachingchannel.org/blog/2014/07/01/an-ideal-bookshelf-for-teachers/?utm_content=buffer3b70e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Basic Member
+8
3 years ago
One book I read this year was Teaching with the Brain in Mind by Eric Jensen.

In his book, Jensen presents brain research and discusses tips and techniques for how we can apply this knowledge in the classroom. Some of the areas explored in this book are motivations and rewards, emotions, movement, attention, threats and stress, and an enriched environment.

I highly recommend this book. In fact, I intend to review it this summer.

I'll share more titles as this thread progresses. *Love* this topic, by the way. :o)
+8
3 years ago
Quote from Jimmie B
One book I read this year was Teaching with the Brain in Mind by Eric Jensen.

In his book, Jensen presents brain research and discusses tips and techniques for how we can apply this knowledge in the classroom. Some of the areas explored in this book are motivations and rewards, emotions, movement, attention, threats and stress, and an enriched environment.

I highly recommend this book. In fact, I intend to review it this summer.

I'll share more titles as this thread progresses. *Love* this topic, by the way. :o)

Dear Jimmie,

I cannot wait to buy your book that you have suggested. It seems like a great book. I would like to add another one:

Teaching Adolescents Who Struggle with Reading: Practical Strategies by David W. Moore and Kathleen A. Hinchman
Basic Member
+8
3 years ago
Another book I read this year and fell in love with:

The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child

Donalyn Miller

Book description:

"Donalyn Miller says she has yet to meet a child she couldn't turn into a reader. No matter how far behind Miller's students might be when they reach her 6th grade classroom, they end up reading an average of 40 to 50 books a year. Miller's unconventional approach dispenses with drills and worksheets that make reading a chore. Instead, she helps students navigate the world of literature and gives them time to read books they pick out themselves. Her love of books and teaching is both infectious and inspiring. The book includes a dynamite list of recommended "kid lit" that helps parents and teachers find the books that students really like to read."

I absolutely loved this book. My school will be reading her next book, Reading in the Wild: The Book Whisperer's Keys to Cultivating Lifelong Reading Habits, this coming school year.
+7
3 years ago
Quote from Mariel Gomez de la Torre
I was reading this post. I have attended to have a post where teachers share their best book for professional development.

I hope this link can create the interest to share more books for us to grow more through the reading of great books.

http://www.teachingchannel.org/blog/2014/07/01/an-ideal-bookshelf-for-teachers/?utm_content=buffer3b70e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Hi Mariel!! Thanks for having shared this link!! Unfortunately I cannot shared only one book name! I love Reading a lot and I keep Reading all the time! However, the one I simply loved was "The Element" by Sir Kim Roberson. Smiles from Argentina, Maria :)

Basic Member
+7
3 years ago
Quote from Jimmie B

Donalyn Miller

Book description:

"Donalyn Miller says she has yet to meet a child she couldn't turn into a reader. No matter how far behind Miller's students might be when they reach her 6th grade classroom, they end up reading an average of 40 to 50 books a year. Miller's unconventional approach dispenses with drills and worksheets that make reading a chore. Instead, she helps students navigate the world of literature and gives them time to read books they pick out themselves. Her love of books and teaching is both infectious and inspiring. The book includes a dynamite list of recommended "kid lit" that helps parents and teachers find the books that students really like to read."

I absolutely loved this book. My school will be reading her next book, Reading in the Wild: The Book Whisperer's Keys to Cultivating Lifelong Reading Habits, this coming school year.

This is the second time that I have heard someone speak of this book, and both times the person seemed geniunely excited about it. Guess it is now on my must read list!
Basic Member
3 years ago
Quote from Jimmie B

Donalyn Miller

Book description:

Thanks for the suggestion and description! I'm hoping one of my co-workers can lend me a copy. If not, it's going on my wishlist! :)
Basic Member
+8
3 years ago
Shari & Teach4TX, you won't regret reading it. It was one of those that I had a really hard time putting down. If I'd read it during the summer, I probably wouldn't have; however, there isn't quite so much time during the school year. ;oD

Last updated: 3 years ago

+6
3 years ago
I agree. I read it in the summer and it took a day because it just begs you to keep going. I have implemented some of the strategies that she talks about in the book such as writing back and forth with the kids about the book they are reading. It took a lot of time but it sure does give you good insight into what your students are getting out of the book they are reading. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who teaches reading to students.

Last updated: 3 years ago

Basic Member
+4
3 years ago
Based on all the great feedback I just went on to Amazon and ordered The Book Whisperer. It will be here next week and I can't wait. I am currently reading Blended Learning in Grades 4-12 by Catlin R. Tucker. I am enjoying it so far and hope to try to flip some of my classes next year. I first learned about Catlin R. Tucker right here on SimpleK12 watching one of her webinars.
First
Page 1 of 4
Last