Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Organizational Tool for Students: Binder or Notebook, or ...

First
Page 1 of 6
Last
+10
3 years ago
Which tool(s)do you think students should use? Binders, notebooks, both, or other?
+7
3 years ago
Hi Colette!

I think that it will depend on what the teacher needs and what it's more suitable and confortable for the student.

I ask my students to work with binders as I can take the sheets of paper home. If they have notebooks, then, I should need to have a huge truck to carry all the notebooks!!

Smiles, Maria :)
+8
3 years ago
Quote from Maria Bossa
Hi Colette!

I think that it will depend on what the teacher needs and what it's more suitable and confortable for the student.

I ask my students to work with binders as I can take the sheets of paper home. If they have notebooks, then, I should need to have a huge truck to carry all the notebooks!!

Smiles, Maria :)

I agree with you Maria. I like both. I think the binder for home is fantastic!
+8
3 years ago
Quote from Colettedavis
Which tool(s)do you think students should use? Binders, notebooks, both, or other?

I think the major problem is that students do not know how to take notes, so it doesn't matter what you use if they cannot take notes.
+2
3 years ago
Colette,

I also agree that it depends on the teacher/student and the intent of the binder or notebook. One thing I can tell you is that we have had far fewer binders end up lost than notebooks. We also have a few teachers who have students put the notebook in the binder - then they have both options. Both can be costly for low income students, so its nice if you can provide them for those in need.

Laurie

Last updated: 3 years ago

+6
3 years ago
I have the kids use what is comfortable for them. Some like binders and are good at keeping them organized. Others like notebooks and have one for each subject, but it is cumbersome to grade things in a notebook. Others like folders for what they are currently working on and then transfer to a binder. Others simply can't stay organized and have papers stuffed everywhere. Those are the ones I work with all the time, but I think I may never win this battle.
+8
3 years ago
Quote from Kim Foss
I have the kids use what is comfortable for them. Some like binders and are good at keeping them organized. Others like notebooks and have one for each subject, but it is cumbersome to grade things in a notebook. Others like folders for what they are currently working on and then transfer to a binder. Others simply can't stay organized and have papers stuffed everywhere. Those are the ones I work with all the time, but I think I may never win this battle.

What grades do you teach? It seems that we have similar problems. I have kids that they do a wonderful job to have an organize binder and notebook, but I have others that they can't. How can we help them?

I would like to have some ideas.
Basic Member
+7
3 years ago
Quote from Colettedavis

I like for my students to have a composition notebook which we call their interactive notebook. In this they write down notes about classroom routines, website information (how to manipulate sites that we use), glue in vocabulary forms, glue in other forms we use throughout the year with written directions, and anything else that they will need to use a reference.

For day to day class I like for them to use a binder. Multiple notebooks do become bulky, and, inevitably, someone always grabs the wrong one from the locker.
+6
3 years ago
I teach 5th grade. I spent time today working with two of my most unorganized and it nearly drove me crazy. They both had piles of papers stuffed into their desks. They have papers in various stages of completion from almost done to barely started. I guess I just need to help them organize each week to make sure they stay on top of their paperwork.
+8
3 years ago
Depends n what it's used for. I like binders because you can add and take out pages as needed. I like notebooks because the pages won't fall out.
First
Page 1 of 6
Last