Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Tools for Teachers and Adults

Covers the tools adults can use to protect young people while they use the Internet.

$97
Buy Now

Overview

This course covers the tools adults can use to protect young people while they use the Internet. It covers monitoring and filtering software that can be used on computers that minors have access to and goes over federal laws that pertain to protecting children and teens' online experiences. It also contains a downloadable and printable PDF document of available online resources for all the lessons within the course.

Details

Subject: Internet Safety
Categories: Digital Citizenship, School Safety, Workplace
Duration: 1 hour
Credit Hours: 1

Contents

• Tools for Teachers and Adults
Use Monitoring and Filtering Software
Discusses the difference between monitoring and filtering online content.more...
Provides information about software available for monitoring and filtering Internet usage.
Examines the advantages and disadvantages of using such software. 
Know the Online Protection Laws
Discusses laws and statutes regarding protecting children online.more...
Provides information on the Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) and Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
Gives links to other federal and state statutes. 
Personal Action Plan for Tools for Teachers and Adults
While completing lessons in this course, you will be prompted to answer essay questions that will aid in creating your Personal Action Plan. more... The answers you provide will appear in your Personal Action Plan, so be sure you respond as thoroughly as possible. Your Personal Action Plan will not appear until you have answered at least one of the essay questions.
-

Reviews (11)

+6

If you're having a technical problem, please see the Help tab (upper right of the toolbar) for FAQs and also the ability to put in a support ticket. We'll be happy to help you! Thank you.
Basic Member

Nice to know we have a fair amount of Acts in place to protect our young people.
Basic Member

Good to be aware of.
Basic Member

This course gave an excellent overview of the both the lwas, and the ways, we can protect our children while using the internet.
+5

Great information. Very informative. Unfortunately many of our students surf the internet on websites in other countries where these laws do not apply. I remind students that their parents don't let them leave the neighborhood.... what are they doing on sites out of the United States!
Basic Member

Steve1144 Totally agrees with Gloria. We have to make sure our students are safe and secure while perusing the internet.
Basic Member
+1

This program is a good resource for anyone who is not only a teacher, but also a parent of pre-teens who are digital natives, using their iPad, iPod,and more as a constant way of communication and learning.
The program is basic information and it left me wanting more.
Basic Member

Fine.
Basic Member

Taught me some things I was not aware of.
Basic Member

The information provided is very valuable, perhaps I have not found the tool, but there should be presentations of the same material prepared for student delivery.
more reviews ...