Get the most out of the Teacher Learning Community. Sign in now. Not a member? Click here to get started for free!

Protecting Children from Online Social Dangers

Covers many of the steps that you can take to keep children and teens safe while online.

$97
Buy Now

Overview

This course covers many of the steps that you can take to keep children and teens safe while online. It explains what situations to discuss with them while using online features such as chat rooms, message boards, social networking sites, blogs, and journals. It also looks at how not to unknowingly reveal an identity, as well as how to report any unsafe or uncomfortable situations. The subject area also addresses the potential issues that can arise through the sharing of videos and messages using cell phones.

Details

Subject: Internet Safety
Categories: Digital Citizenship, School Safety, Workplace
Duration: 1 hour
Credit Hours: 1

Contents

• Protecting Children from Online Social Dangers
Protect Kids in Chat Rooms, IMs, and E-mails
Discusses how to create and protect passwords.more...
Examines the risks associated with chat rooms, instant messaging, and e-mail, such as online predators, cyberbullying, and harassment.
Discusses how others who contact children may not always be who they say they are.
Looks at how to protect personal information while using e-mail, chat rooms and instant messaging. 
Identify Dangers of Bulletin Boards, Online Forums, and Newsgroups
Looks at the risks associated with newsgroups, bulletin boards, and forums.more...
Examines how to protect teens' personal information and guard their identities.
Discusses inappropriate contact and how to report it. 
Avoid Common Blog and Online Journal Mistakes
Discusses how providing too much information on a blog site can be dangerous.more...
Provides information about how to protect teens from harassment and predators.
Covers what to do about harassment or inappropriate contact from strangers. 
Use Cell Phones Smartly
Discusses how using a cell phone to send and receive text messages, pictures, or video is similar to using e-mail or instant messaging.more...
Provides information on the risks associated with cell phone use, including identity theft and harassment.
Provides information on how to protect teens' personal information, identity, and privacy. 
Be Wary of Social Networking Sites
Discusses popular social networking sites such as MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter.more...
Explains how to monitor teens' use of these sites to keep them safe.
Provides information on the various forms of communication offered on social networking sites and the associated risks.
Covers the importance of using caution when posting pictures or video.
Discusses how to protect personal information and report inappropriate contact.
Looks at possible benefits of social networking for teens. 
Personal Action Plan for Protecting Children from Online Social Dangers
While completing lessons in this course, you will be prompted to answer essay questions that will aid in creating your Personal Action Plan. more... The answers you provide will appear in your Personal Action Plan, so be sure you respond as thoroughly as possible. Your Personal Action Plan will not appear until you have answered at least one of the essay questions.
-

Reviews (12)

Basic Member

Very informative not just for the student, but for everyone.
Basic Member

I, too, agree that much of this information was redundant. Any information that was "new" could have easily been inserted in previous lessons. I do, however, believe it's important to protect our children. I teach 2nd grade, so while most of this didn't actually apply to my students, I do plan on sharing a lot of these tips with parents. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if parents truly understand the implications of allowing young children to have social networking profiles.
Basic Member

I also agree that some of the information is redundant, but it is so crucial to protect our children in every way possible from those out in "cyber land" who unfortunately want to take advantage of children and teens!
Basic Member

I have completed Identify Dangers of Bulletin Boards, Online Forums, and Newsgroups and Avoid Common Blog and Online Journal Mistakes three times each. Each time it says I am either incomplete or not attempted. Anyone else having this problem? It is very frustration.
Basic Member

I agree with prior comments in as much as the information is valuable but much is repeated to often.
Basic Member

Good info. A little repetitive.
Basic Member

This is really repitious. The information is useful.
Basic Member

This is a good course to familiarize oneself with the types of social networking students are involved in in today's world. It gives very specific ideas for ways to teach children to protect themselves while using modern technology.
+5

Really good information ... Everyone who uses a computer needs to know.
Basic Member

Good content. Great tips on how to stay safe on the internet.
more reviews ...